This easy to prepare Italian potato salad with a homemade EVOO and vinegar dressing is so simple and yet a very popular dish at any gathering. It makes sense I guess. Not many would argue that Italian food is a commonly loved cuisine worldwide. Once you start to learn about the different dishes from various regions, you realize that the favourites are usually the ones with simple ingredients and flavours that speak for themselves!
This potato salad is perfect for large gatherings as it can be made ahead and the quantity is easily adjusted for large batches. No more worrying about mayonnaise or whipped dressing going bad. This recipe uses a basic but flavourful homemade vinaigrette. Just beware, once your friends try it, this is what you will be making for every barbeque and get together! The good news? You can whip this up in a hurry and is a great side to just about anything. Don’t wait for barbecue season though. Any day of the year would be a great time to enjoy Nonna’s Italian potato salad!
- 5 medium yellow flesh potatoes
- 1 small tomato, seeds removed, diced
- 2 green onions, diced finely
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) dried or fresh basil
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Peel and wash the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes whole in a medium pot of boiling water until just fork tender.
- Carefully slice the cooled cooked potatoes into bite size pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the potatoes and gently toss to combine.
- Serve right away or store in the refrigerator for later.