The first featured pizza is…..drumrolllllll, Calabrese pizza! I’m a little biased, what can I say. Both my parents and all of my extended family come from Calabria so my preferred style of Italian cuisine comes from the south of Italy. This is a favorite among family and friends and is requested frequently at mamma’s house. Very simple flavours and no cheese. Yes, you heard correctly, no cheese! I am not a fan of anchovies but this is an exception, so for those of you out there that are saying “ewwww anchovies”, it’s really good.
Most of the time we will say ‘or your favorite tomato sauce’ but this is one of those times I’m going to have to tell you that it just isn’t the same without the suggested tomatoes. The Calabrese pizza is made with stewed tomato pieces that still have the skin on. So ask your Italian friends, beg if you have to, for a jar of “pomodoro a pezzi”. If you really have to use store bought tomatoes then get whole tomatoes and cut them into chunks or strips. Home made or store bought, you’ll want to make sure you drain them well. Kalamata olives is what we use. The flavour won’t be the same if you use sliced black olives from a can. In fact, the olives are mixed together with the tomatoes, not just placed on top so that the flavour really soaks in. Hot peppers are used a lot in Italian dishes but of course it is always an optional item.
This recipe is for one large rectangle pizza (12×16 inch pan).Print
Traditional cheeseless Calabrese pizza with stewed tomatoes, anchovies, and kalamata olives.
- Half of the pizza dough recipe from Nonna’s Way
- 1 jar stewed tomatoes with skin on
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives
- 8 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll or spread your dough to desired pan size and thickness (traditionally this is not a thick pizza) and place on a greased pan.
- Split the olives in half and take out the pits.
- Dice up the anchovies into small pieces.
- Drain tomatoes in a collander.
- In a large bowl mix together the tomatoes, olives, anchovies, salt, oregano, olive oil and hot peppers.
- Spread onto pizza dough evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!
- hot pepper flakes
- Prep Time: 150
- Cook Time: 25