Rapini and Potatoes, or rapa e patate. When I think comfort food, I think of this dish and I think of my father-in-law because this was one of his favourites. So simple yet so flavourful and satisfying. Great as a side dish or filling on all its own with some nice crusty bread. One would think this is an odd combination putting rapini with mashed potatoes but they work well together!
Rapa e patate would be a traditional dish from Avellino in Italy which is where my in-laws originate from.
The added flavours of onion, red pepper, dash of hot chili flakes and anchovies give this recipe just the right kick. Remember those sundried tomatoes we did in the fall? They are also a great addition if you like!
Nonna Olga says you can add some spinach to the mix to bump up the greens as well as use leek instead of, or along with, the onion.
- 1 bunch of rapini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled, boiled in salted water and mashed)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2-3 anchovies finely chopped (optional)
- chili flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to season
- To prepare the rapini, trim the stalk ends and discard. Remove and discard any discoloured leaves. Wash the rapini really well. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then add the rapini and cook until tender but not mushy. Drain well, let cool slightly, chop into small pieces then squeeze out any excess water. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and pepper and cook until tender. Then add the garlic and saute together for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the anchovies and chili flakes and cook altogether for a few minutes stirring constantly until the anchovies dissolve.
- Add the chopped/drained greens and stir to mix well and heat through.
- Finally, add the mashed potatoes and stir all the ingredients together with a spatula until evenly mixed. Adjust for seasoning if necessary.
- Cook until the potatoes are heated through.
- Serve while warm.
- If you have pickled red peppers, they are really tasty in this recipe.