- 25–30 male zucchini flowers (male flowers don’t have little zucchini on them)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- Clean flowers of any debris, washing if necessary
- Remove stems, petals, and stamen
- Once they are all clean, open flowers along one side and place in a bowl
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt, mix and let sit for 15 minutes
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, water, remaining salt and parmesan cheese to make a batter
- Squeeze the juice out of the zucchini flowers and roughly chop them
- Add chopped flowers and basil to the batter and mix well
- Prepare frying pan with half inch of vegetable oil and bring to a high temperature
- Place one heaping tablespoon of batter at a time into the pan, pressing to flatten slightly
- Fry until brown then flip to cook the other side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, place on paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Can substitute grated zucchini for flowers.