Baccala, or salted cod, prepared with stewed tomatoes and onion. A classic Italian cod recipe.
- 1 kg boneless salted cod
- 2 medium cooking onions (+/- 2 cups large chunks)
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 litre canned tomato pieces
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- Prepare the salted cod by soaking 1-2 days in cold water, changing the water and rinsing at least once a day and preferably 2-3 times a day. . The longer you soak the salted cod the more mild the flavour will be when cooking.
- Chop the onions into large chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Fry the onions until they start to brown around the edges.
- Add the tomato pieces, parsley, and salt and cook covered for 15-18 minutes on medium heat until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the half cup of boiling water.
- Cut the rehydrated fish into 1 inch thick slices or large chunks and add to the pan.
- Keep the lid on and let cook for 15 minutes. After 10 minutes use a spoon to gently cover the fish with the stewed tomatoes. Remove the lid and cook for 5 more minutes.