A hot bowl of Italian comfort food featuring tubetti pasta and peas!
⅓ cup olive oil
1 ½ cups diced onion (1 medium onion)
6 large frozen roma tomatoes, skins removed (or canned plum tomatoes or 1 cup tomato puree)
2 tsps salt, separated
5 cups frozen peas
5 cups boiling water
Tubetti or other small-cut pasta (quantity to your preference)
Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat the oil over high heat and add the onion.
- Cook for 2 minutes then lower to medium-high heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 tsp salt.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the tomatoes are completely broken down.
- Add the peas, stir together and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and lower the heat.
- Cook at a simmering boil for 1 hour.
- Cook your desired amount of pasta until al-dente. Remember, there should be more peas than pasta! A third of a cup of raw tubetti per serving is our recommended amount.
- Add the other tsp of salt to the peas, stir, and then shut off.
- Drain the pasta leaving a touch of the pasta water in.
- Add the pasta to the peas if using it all at once. Otherwise, add the appropriate amount of peas to the pasta and conserve the remainders in the fridge or freezer.
- Eat immediately.
- Category: pasta, soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, peas, italian, soup, piselli