This vegetable dish can be a main or side dish, depending on portion size. A savoury mix of potato, rapini, red bell peppers, and onion fills a potato-lined personal ‘pie’. Easy, delicious, and beautiful!
- 1 bunch fresh rapini
- 1.5lb fingerling potatoes washed
- 2 tbsp pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper, small diced
- Extra virgin olive oil, EVOO
- Chili flakes
Heat oven to 375F.
- Prepare the rapini by removing the tough ends and old leaves. Cut into shorter lengths and wash several times.
- Bring water to boil in a medium pot, add the cleaned rapini, cook for 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate medium pot, bring water to a boil and add salt to taste.
- Add the potatoes.
- After 5 minutes, remove half of the potatoes and set aside.
- Cook the remainder of the potatoes until soft for mashing, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, place in a bowl and roughly mash these cooked potatoes with a fork leaving them somewhat chunky then set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat and add the diced onion. Cook for 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the diced red pepper and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Roughly chop the cooked rapini and add to the onion/pepper mix, lower the heat to medium.
- Add ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp ground black pepper and ⅛ tsp chili flakes. Stir well and continue to cook for about 4 minutes to incorporate the seasonings.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, stirring over heat for another 3 minutes to combine.
- Lightly grease 3 X 1″ high by 4″ round ramekins with olive oil.
- Slice the reserved potatoes into ⅛” long slices. Line the ramekins, so that the slices touch each other and hang over the edge by about ¼”.
- Spread 2 tsp of pesto and a sprinkle of salt over the potatoes in each ramekin.
- Fill with the rapini mixture.
- Place the filled ramekins on a baking sheet, place in heated oven and bake until the potato slice edges are browned.