- 6L water
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3–4 celery stalks chopped into bite size pieces
- Swiss chard-medium size bunch, washed and chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 potatoes diced
- 2 cans mixed beans (or see note below)
- Salt and pepper to season to your liking
- Grated parmesan cheese for sprinkling before serving.
- Beef or chicken (already cooked and diced) (optional)
- Pasta noodles/shells/ barley or rice (optional). Cook desired quantity separately and add just before serving if being eaten right away)
Using an 8L stock pot add
- 6 L water, tomatoes, carrots, celery, swiss chard, onion, beans if using frozen or rehydrated.
- Season with salt and pepper, and other spices if using (see note below).
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let all of these ingredients cook together in the covered pot for about an hour on low to medium heat so that it boils gently.
- After an hour, add the potatoes and let cook for another hour.
- If using canned beans, add these 30 minutes after the potatoes have been added and allow to cook together for the last 30 minutes.
- (Total cooking time is 2 hours)
- Add the cooked/diced meat, if using, for the last 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta/rice/barley a few minutes before serving if desired.
- Serve in bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- For the beans, you can use dry and rehydrate according to package then add at the beginning with everything else. If using beans from the garden that you have frozen, cook them separately for about 1/2 hour then add to minestrone at the beginning.
- Other spices such as a bay leaf (remove before serving) or chilli pepper flakes can be added if desired.
- Try sautéing the celery, carrot, and onion in a small amount of olive oil for about 5-6 minutes before adding to the stock pot.