An easy to make lentil soup that is good for you and delicious!
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, fresh or frozen, peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 5 cups (1 1/4 litres) chicken stock at boiling point or use a bouillon cube dissolved in boiling water
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the lentils in cold water and remove any debris or stones you may find.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot, add the onion and cook until softened and lightly colored.
- Add the tomatoes and potatoes.
- Cover and let cook altogether for about 20 minutes or until tomatoes have softened and broken down.
- At this point, add the drained lentils and stir to mix well.
- Add 1 cup of the chicken stock or dissolved bouillon cube liquid and stir.
- Add 2 more cups of the chicken stock to the pot and allow to absorb in (much like when making risotto.)
- Then add the remainder of the stock a little at a time, allowing the lentils to soak it in between each addition. This builds the flavor over the course of cooking.
- Once all of the water has been added, cover the pot, turn the stove to low and allow to cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until lentils are soft.
- Near the end when the potatoes are soft enough, crush them with a large fork or spoon and stir. This will thicken the soup up before serving.