Artichoke, asiago cheese mixed with light cream cheese and no-fat plain greek yogurt are used to make this creamy and rich tasting but healthy lentil dish.
- 1 cup dry green lentils (yields 2.5 cups cooked)
- 75gm farro (yields approximately 1 cup cooked)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (60ml) zero-fat plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) marinated artichokes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt and extra to season the peppers
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) hot chili flakes (optional)
- 4 tsp (20ml) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) grated Asiago cheese, to be mixed in
- 4 small bell peppers, preferably red and yellow
- 1/4 cup (60ml) grated Asiago cheese, to melt on top
- 2 tsp (10ml) fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rinse lentils with fresh water before cooking.
- Bring 3 cups of water and 1 cup dry lentils to a boil in a pot large enough allow the lentils double or triple in size. Cover, lower the heat and allow to simmer until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the farro according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine 2 cups of the cooked lentils and 1 cup of the cooked farro in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, stir together the cream cheese and yogurt and mix until well blended.
- Add the artichokes, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, chili flakes,4 tsp parsley and 1/2 cup asiago cheese and stir to combine.
- Add the lentil/farro mixture to the cheese mixture and gently combine to mix well.
- Wash and dry the bell peppers.
- Carefully cut around the top of the pepper to remove the stem.
- Remove the seeds and white veins without tearing the pepper.
- Lightly season the insides of the peppers with salt.
- Fill each pepper with a 1/4 of the stuffing mixture.
- Place on a lightly greased casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top each pepper with 1 tablespoon grated asiago cheese.
- Return to then oven for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top each pepper with 1/2 tsp of the parsley.
- Serve hot.
- To add even more vegetables try adding 1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach per pepper.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 4