A classic Italian Easter bread with embedded eggs in a twisted or braided dough. It’s a bit sweet and has a wonderful brioche-like texture.
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all purpose flour
- 6 eggs for embedding in dough
- 1 egg +1 teaspoon water for eggwash
- In a small pot warm milk and butter until butter is melted. You do not want the milk hot.
- Combine yeast, salt, 2 beaten eggs, and sugar.
- Add the warm milk and butter mixture.
- Add half the flour and knead or beat with a dough hook until smooth.
- Add remaining flour slowly until the dough does not stick to your hands anymore.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Punch air out and divide into 12 pieces for individual breads or 6 for larger breads.
- Roll the pieces into roughly 13-14 inch ropes.
- Twist to form a braid, bring ends together and pinch to make a ring.
- Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and let rise again until doubled.
- Brush dough with eggwash.
- Place a raw egg in the middle of each ring or embed them in the braid twists.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until lightly browned on top.
- You can dye the eggs or decorate them as Easter eggs (be sure to use food-safe dyes)
- Add sprinkle sugar or colored sprinkles on the bread
- Prep Time: 60
- Cook Time: 20