- 1 chicken (about 4 pounds, cut into pieces)
- 4 slices bacon (thick slice) diced
- 1 1/2 medium size onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (quickly blanched)
- 1 can (28 oz) peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 red peppers (sheppard or bell) cut into 3″X1/4″ slices
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (quickly blanched)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil (to brown chicken-about 1/2 cup)
- Olive oil (to sauté vegetables-about 1/2 cup)
- Heat canola oil in a large non-stick cooking pan.
- Add the chicken pieces (in batches if necessary) and allow to get lightly browned
- Remove chicken and drain the cooking oil. Clean and dry the pan.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the bacon and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook until onion is golden brown.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3-4 more minutes.
- Season everything with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return browned chicken to pan.
- Add tomatoes, white wine and dried basil.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes, turning once midway through.
- For most of the second half of cooking, leave uncovered.
- For the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the pepper strips, peas and parsley.
- Garnish with more parsley when plated if desired.
- Avoid the temptation to turn the chicken more than once while simmering!