- 250 gr orecchiette pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup, well packed, diced Spicy Fennel Salami
- 5–6 large leaves of basil (or as much as desired), thinly sliced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- pinch of hot chili flakes (optional)
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and cook the pasta according to the package instructions or until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the diced sausage for 2-3 or just until lightly crisped.
- Add the garlic and basil and saute for 1 minute before adding the chopped tomatoes. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and add to the tomato-sausage mixture. Gently stir over medium-high meat for 2 minutes to combine and add 1/3 cup of the parmesan cheese while mixing. Add a bit of the pasta water if it is too dry.
- Serve immediately and top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- We added salt only to the pasta water as the salami and parmesan cheese impart their own saltiness to the mixture.