- 1 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 ounces chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra to coat hands
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Extra olive oil for frying if using this method
- Combine beef, veal and pork and a large bowl
- Add the other ingredients and mix altogether using your bare hands for best results
- The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape when rolled into meatballs
- Coat your hands with olive oil and shape into meatballs to desired size.
- At this point, you can either brown the meatballs in a frying pan or broil them in the oven which Nonna Francesca prefers to do.
- To broil them, place the meatballs on a broiler pan and broil until the outside is slightly browned on one side. Then turn them and broil the other side.
- If you choose to fry them, heat olive oil in a large skillet and fry meatballs in batches.
- When they are nicely browned, remove them from the heat and drain on a paper towel.
- Add the browned meatballs to your spaghetti sauce and simmer for 1 hour.
- Using olive oil or water to wet your hands before shaping the meatballs makes for a smoother finish