- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound (454gm) ground pork
- 1/2 large spanish onion, diced
- 2 X 1 L canned tomatoes, pureed
- 8 large basil leaves (1/2 cup), finely chopped
- 2 X 5.5oz cans of tomato paste
- 5 small black eggplants (650gm peeled and cut into strips)
- salt and black pepper to season
- pasta, short rigatoni or penne
- In a large, non-stick stock pot, heat 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil on high. Add the pork and cook for a few minutes then reduce heat to medium-high. Allow the meat to brown.
- Add the onion and let brown. Lower the heat to medium, cook for another few minutes then add the tomatoes. Cover and continue cooking over medium heat.
- Once the sauce has been cooking for 30 minutes, add 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- After cooking for one hour, add the tomato paste to the sauce and stir to mix well. Cover again and continue cooking.
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1/4 inch strips. Place the eggplant strips into a bowl. Add 1/2 Tbsp (7.5 ml) salt to the eggplant, stir to mix well then let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as you can and place into another bowl.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat 1/4 cup (60 ml) of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant and cook until well browned, about 20 minutes.
- When the sauce has cooked for 1 3/4 hours, add the chopped basil. After 5 minutes add the cooked eggplant and continue to cook for another 10 minutes (total sauce cooking time is 2 hours).
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In a large shallow bowl, add a couple of scoopfuls of sauce then add the pasta. Stir to combine. Plate the pasta and place a generous amount of sauce on top. Sprinkle with plenty of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 120