- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons sambuca
- 3 large eggs beaten (with a fork)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup white wine
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Coarse white sprinkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter and flour baking sheets.
- In a bowl mix together oil, sugar, sambuca and whisk until well blended.
- Add in the 3 beaten eggs and vanilla and continue to whisk.
- Whisk in white wine then blend in lemon zest.
- To start, add 2 cups of flour to the liquid mixture above and blend with a spatula. Then add the other 2 cups of flour and blend until uniformly mixed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work suface and lightly knead it for about 30 seconds then form into a ball.
- Using a timbit size of dough at a time, roll into a 6” log then shape into a circle. Overlap the ends by about ½” and pinch together just enough to seal. Keep all the circles on a floured surface before baking.
- Beat the remaining egg well and lightly brush it on the tops of the circles. Sprinkle each one with coarse sugar.
- Place the circles onto prepared pans allowing room to expand as they bake.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Adjust the size of the ciambellette to your liking.
- Leave about 1″ space between each of the cookies while baking. They approximately double in size once baked.