- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
- salt and pepper to season (or use seasoning salt if you like)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley (omit or add more if you like)
- olive oil for cooking and browning
- 8 slices of black forest ham
- long skewers
- butcher’s twine
- 1 cup chicken stock
Prepare the chicken
- Debone the chicken, leaving the skin intact and cut through the breast so you have two equal pieces. Butterfly the breast on each side to even out the thickness and use the chicken tenders to fill in any holes from the deboning process.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper (or seasoning salt).
Prepare the frittata
- You will need to prepare a frittata for each of the chicken halves.
- For each one, beat a large egg with a fork. Season lightly with salt and pepper and add 1/2 of the freshly chopped parsley.
- Whisk well to blend everything together.
- In a non-stick pan, heat about 1 tsp of olive oil, add the egg mixture and keep rotating the pan gently to spread out evenly. You want this frittata to be thin like a crepe. When set and just lightly coloured, remove to a dish to cool.
For each of the rolls
- Lay out one side of the deboned and seasoned chicken on a work surface, skin side down.
- Place 2 slices of the ham evenly over the surface. Add one of the cooled frittata over top of the ham and then layer another 2 pieces of the ham on top of the frittata.
- Use a couple of skewers, as shown in the photos, to secure all the parts of the roll in place. Carefully roll the long side of the chicken to form a log.
- Tie tightly with butcher’s twine evenly along the length of the roll to hold together, being sure to tuck in the ends. Secure the ends with a small skewer. Remove the long skewers from the rolls.
- In a large oven proof pan, heat about 2 tablespoonfuls of oil, then lightly brown the chicken on all sides.
- Repeat all of this process to form the other chicken roll.
- Place both chicken rolls on a rack in the oven proof pan then add the chicken stock to the bottom.
- Cover with foil, cook in the oven at 350F for about 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked, but do not let it dry out. Remove the foil for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the cooked rolls from the pan and place on a cutting board. Strain the cooking juices into a bowl and keep warm.
- Cut the rolls into 1 inch wide slices and lay them in a serving platter. Drizzle the juices over the slices and serve immediately.