A healthy Italian pasta recipe with loads of cauliflower – tastes like alfredo sauce but without cream!
- 1 large or 2 small cauliflower, quartered
- 1 kg Fettuccine noodles, fresh noodles work best
- Salt to season
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cracked black pepper, to season to taste
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into quarters.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt well to taste. Make sure there is enough water to cover the cauliflower.
- Cook until fork tender and soft enough to mash with a fork.
- Remove the cauliflower from the water with a slotted spoon. DO NOT discard the water.
- Mash the cauliflower with a fork. Set aside.
- Bring the pot of water back to a boil and add the pasta noodles.
- Cook the pasta only to “very” al dente as they are going to cook further with the mashed cauliflower and cheese.
- Remove the pot from the heat and start to remove the water with a ladle. Set aside 2-3 cups of the water. You want enough water to remain with the noodles in the pot so that the water level is about ¼ of the way up the height of the al dente noodles.
- Add the mashed cauliflower to the noodles.
- Add the parmesan cheese and return to the heat.
- Add the olive oil to the pot.
- Let this all simmer slowly in order to melt the cheese.
- Add some cracked black pepper to your liking.
- After about 5 minutes when the sauce has thickened a bit, add 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese a little at a time and stir continuously.
- Add in a bit of the reserved pasta water if you find it is getting a dry.
- It will be finished about 2 minutes after adding the mozzarella.
- Serve immediately while hot. Add some hot peppers! Enjoy!